Malbec World Day — April 17 — is usually marked in Calgary by tastings and parties at several of the larger wine shops. Not this year, of course.
But at least one wine shop has taken its celebration online. Willow Park Wines & Spirits features a slew of virtual tastings with some of Argentina’s finest winemakers, April 16 to 18, in partnership with Wines of Argentina. Times and ticket prices range; expect to pay from $54.49 to $98.99 for each event. The price includes three bottles of wine.
One such highlight? A couple of years ago, Bodega Escorihuela Gascón 1884 viticulturalist Celeste Pesce came from Mendoza, Argentina to Calgary for a small but fantastic tasting followed by a weekend pouring wine at one of the city’s big wine festivals. I was blown away by the beauty of her wines, and I bought several bottles. I’ve bought a few more since then, too.
Join her on April 17 from 3 to 4 pm. Tickets are $89.99 apiece and include three bottles of wine plus a link to join the conversation.
Others to check out:
- Cecilia Carrasco from Familia Zuccardi, April 16 from 5 to 6 pm
- Bodega Norton‘s Marcelo Soizan, April 17 from noon to 1 pm
- The incomparable Susana Balbo, winemaker and owner of Susana Balbo Wines, April 17 from 1 to 2 pm.
- Dona Paula‘s Martin Kaiser, April 17 from 5 to 6 pm
- Zorzal Vineyards and Winery‘s Juan Pablo Michelini, April 18 from noon to 1 pm
- Bodegas Salentein owner Bernard Pon, April 18 from 2 to 3 pm
- Bodega Catena Zapata‘s export director Marina Castillo, April 18 from 3 to 4 pm
- And last but definitely not least, Bodega Luigi Bosca winemaker Pablo Cueno, April 18 from 3 to 4 pm.